Failure to Launch
These were going to be Bird in Hand Mittens, a pattern that I fell in love with the minute I saw it. Things were going swimmingly (flyingly?) – the picot edge went in without a hitch, I conquered the braids (lots of futzing and slow going but the results are well worth it), and my colorwork stranding was actually looking good (I’m getting more comfortable with stranding which is one of my knitting goals this year). And I love the color combination (Cascade 220 yarn) – a nice dark red (I call it “cranberry”) which makes the white pop. Sadly, one thing was wrong. Yup, that knitting bugaboo – gauge. It was off. Way off. So off it was on another planet. To make things worse, I was knitting with size 1 needles! With worsted weight yarn! Apparently I’m a freakishly loose knitter; I just couldn’t imagine trying to knit with this yarn on size 0.
However. I have not given up on the pattern. I have ordered more yarn from Knitpicks – buying mitten yarn from Knitpicks was one of my exceptions in my knit-from-my-stash resolution, so I haven’t violated any goals. And the prices are so reasonable, I spent well under $20 even with shipping and handling so the save-money corollary of this resolution is also safe. Unfortunately, they do not have the same color selection as Cascade 220; I choose a straightforward bright red and also a “garnet heather” that I have high hopes for. These should also work for future mittens, such as the Selbuvotter mittens.
In the meantime, sock knitting continues. I’m working on Embossed Leaves socks with a lovely yarn called Mama E’s C*Ber*Fiber. The color is divine – soft spring greens and a tiny bit of pale turquoise blue. After working with dark colors and seeing nothing but white and brown and grey outside, it’s a joy to work with light colors again.